Monday, July 7, 2008

Lavender Blossoms in Summer


It is now July and it is summer term in Japan and from July to August, University of Tsukuba is having it's summer vacation. That is only true for undergraduate student. As for me, I can not afford a vacation until I feel that there is less work for my degree . But let me take a rest "in between" the works. I have just finished an essay in Random Fuzzy Variables.

As I was parking my bicycle in the university's campus, I came across the scent which I was so familiar with back home, the scent of lavender. Omoshiroi ! lavender plants are just a metre away.

It seems that the purple plants blossom during summer and I saw lots of them in a few separate locations in the university. And there are bees harmlessly surrounding the lavender plants. I wonder why the bees concentrate most on lavender plant, whereas there are a lot of other plants spotted nearby. Maybe, it's scent does not only attract human but also affectively "seduced" the bees. Well, this gives an impression that there is sort of honey call "lavender honey".

I have attached a picture of lavender in this post since a picture tells a thousand words which I myself may unable to describe.

Since lavender blossoms in summer and Malaysia is always in summer the whole year round, it gives me the second impression - lavender can be planted in Malaysia. An idea prop-up - "Buy lavender seeds and plant it in Malaysia". If it is suffessful, then I dont have to buy anymore air freshener for my car and my room. Not only, it is nice to smell, it has decorative attributes.

By the way, in my self-made frugal initiative, I am already a small part-time planter in Japan - if you visit me in Japan you can have some freshly picked chillies and tomatoes. Next, on my list is broccoli.

2 comments:

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Saudara Radzian,

Summer is the time to take a rest and be jolly. Well, it is good to know that you are very focused on your studies, good luck, sir.

Lavenders are beautiful. The hue and smell of the flower are divine gifts for mankind. But a word of caution, sir. Use the flower sparingly especially if you have a son. This is because experts say that lavender 'encourages' gynecomastia in boys. What is this? Well, a clear sign that a prepubescent boy has this 'illness' is when he develops breasts. Another thing is that your home should be a lavender-free zone if pregnant or lactating moms are around.

Well, lavender is nice. I've tried to sow lavender seeds in Malaysia few years ago, but yang tumbuh rumput liar..kih..kih..kih..(maybe i don't have talents in gardening!). Maybe u should try when u are back home.

Mohd Radzian said...

Saudari Ida,

It was declared in the famous lagendary "mythos of the flowers" that lavender oil contains various medicinal benifits. One of the benifits is that it seldom brought people like myself into deep slumber.

The thought of having lavender in my home maybe a bit exxagerated. I am one of those unlucky people who are allergic to sporas. My only hope is that , hopefuly God spared me from being allergic to laverder;s sporas. If not, lavender flower will be in my home only "once", that is before i discover my allergicness to lavender.

As for my son, do not worry. I believe that he will use the lavender sticks and flowers as an imaginary sword to be stabbed into his father.

I do pity that you did not manage to plant lavender, or else I may learn from your goodself experience in planting lavender.

I have thought about a few constraint. May be our Malaysian weather is not suitable, or in your case mungkin tak cukup baja.. hehe.